129 N. Sangamon
This location was originally a two-story building, as were many of the downtown buildings on Sangamon Avenue. The lower half was known as People’s Store after being purchased around 1921 by local dentist Dr. Clair W. Knapp. That store operated much as its predecessor, the Barber Store, which was a dry goods store. The upper story housed Dr. Knapp’s dental office, beginning in 1926. It continued to house other physician and business offices until being purchased by Hood’s Ace Hardware in 1956. A massive fire completely destroyed the Hood’s business in 1956, resulting in the one-story, modern facade of today.